Why Farage stood down Brexit Party candidates at the GE 2019

In the run-up to the UK General Election on 12 December 2019, Nigel Farage made a dramatic decision: his Brexit Party would withdraw hundreds of selected candidates. The move was unusual, controversial and strategic. This article traces the timeline, the motivations Farage publicly gave, the internal and external reactions, and the outcome of his decision.

Early candidate roll-out and expectations

In August 2019, Farage unveiled over 600 prospective candidates for the Brexit Party, signalling an ambition to contest a large number of seats. He said at the time that the party was a “live vehicle” ready to challenge the major parties until Brexit was delivered (Wikipedia).

By September he was publicly proposing an electoral arrangement with the governing Conservatives. On 8 September he told The Sunday Telegraph that the Tories could give the Brexit Party a “free run” in Labour-held seats in the Midlands, North and Wales, in return for not contesting seats where the vote might split the pro-Brexit electorate (Wikipedia). Farage said:

“Does Boris Johnson want to sign a non-aggression pact with me and return to Downing Street?”

Nigel Farage makes his offer to Boris Johnson
Nigel Farage makes his offer to Boris Johnson at the General Election 2019.

Strategy shift and the Nov 11 announcement

By early November the calculations had changed. On 11 November 2019, at a rally in Hartlepool, Farage announced the Brexit Party would not contest the 317 seats where the Conservatives had been victorious in the 2017 election. He stated:

“The Brexit Party will not contest the 317 seats the Conservatives won at the last election. We will concentrate our total effort into all the seats that are held by the Labour party … and we will also take on the rest of the Remainer parties.”

(The Guardian)

The reason he gave was to avoid splitting the Leave vote and thereby enabling a second referendum or a Remain-leaning government. “By giving Boris half a chance,” he said, “I think our action prevents a second referendum from happening.”

 
Nigel Farage announces the Brexit Party will not contest 317 Tory seats.

Pressure, behind-the-scenes deals and allegations

Following the announcement, further disclosures emerged. On 15 November Farage claimed that officials from No 10 Downing Street had been “ringing up candidates and offering them jobs if they stand down”—behaviour he described as “the most extraordinary abuse of the whole democratic process” (Sky News). He alleged that peerages had been offered to senior Brexit Party figures as inducements, which the Conservatives denied. Farage said:

“Today, every single one of the Brexit Party candidates has come under intimidation.”

Candidate backlash and internal turmoil

The decision triggered immediate backlash from many of the Brexit Party’s selected hopefuls. On 12 November The Guardian reported that some ex-candidates said they were told with no consultation that they would no longer stand. Darren Selkus (Epping Forest) said he felt Farage had “betrayed my incredible volunteers … thousands of constituents who will have no one to vote for” (The Guardian). The Evening Standard quoted one as saying:

“Half the Brexit supporters have worked their socks off for that party and he has dropped them like a stone.”

(Evening Standard)

Final reason: Brexit delivery and vote-splitting

At its heart, Farage’s argument was simple: if the Brexit Party stood in too many constituencies, particularly Tory seats, it risked splitting the Leave vote and enabling a Remain-leaning coalition. He reiterated this:

“I’ve given the Prime Minister a chance to win a majority.”

(Sky News)

The withdrawal, he said, was a tactical sacrifice to secure Brexit’s completion.

Aftermath and electoral outcome

On polling day the Brexit Party contested roughly half of the available seats, standing down in the 317 previously Conservative-held constituencies (Wikipedia). The party failed to win any seats, but analysts concluded its retreat helped the Conservatives consolidate Leave-supporting areas. Farage later said the move was “worth it to get Brexit done,” even if “personally frustrating.” (The Telegraph)

Summary and strategic significance

Chronologically, the sequence unfolded as follows:

  • August–September 2019: Candidate list unveiled; Farage proposes pact with Conservatives.
  • 11 November 2019: Public announcement to withdraw in 317 Tory seats to prevent vote-splitting.
  • 15 November 2019: Allegations of pressure on candidates and peerage offers emerge.
  • 12 November 2019: Candidate backlash and resignations reported in national press.
  • December 2019: Election held; Brexit Party wins no seats but claims strategic success.

Farage’s direct statements show a dual motive: to safeguard Brexit’s delivery and to avoid fragmenting the pro-Leave vote. While some activists felt betrayed, the decision reflected Farage’s calculation that securing Brexit mattered more than party representation. In his words:

“We will concentrate our total effort … and stop the fanatics in the Liberal Democrats.”

(The Guardian)

Ultimately, the 2019 withdrawal demonstrated Farage’s willingness to prioritise outcome over organisation—a strategic retreat that helped shape the political map leading to the UK’s formal exit from the European Union a month later.